wading in shallow water

This is where I've spent most of my life--until now

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ok, here I am. I came to this place kicking and screaming, determined that after keeping my writing to myself for 30+ years I would not, under any circumstances, bleed for bloggers. Here I am.
This is my first blog. I'm not sure what prompted me to waste the last 20 minutes setting up a blog, but I did. No, that's a lie. I do know what made me do it. (Don't we always know what makes us do it?)
It was bravery. And with that I will explain the name of my blog.
Wading in shallow water is truly the place where I have spent my entire life, both physically and mentally.
Physically because as a child, my mother would always make us "wade in the shallow water" for fear we would drown when she wasn't looking.
Mentally because I have always played life safe. I have never been brave. This didn't occur to me until last year when I contemplated quitting my job. Let me rephrase that, quitting my career--26 years of nursing. Yes, quit the good pay and job security; quit the weekends, mandatory overtime, stress, danger, staff shortages...you get the picture.
I put it off and put it off until January 4th of this year. I quit. Presently I work on-call 3 days a week, when I want. Believe me, this was a brave move.
The second brave thing I did this year was make a commitment to my writing.
The third brave thing was this--blogging.
I'm still wading in shallow water but someday I'll jump into the deep end and if you hang around long enough, you might get wet.

14 Comments:

Blogger Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

You can always bleed for me. I have decided this is my chosen profession now, above all others, so you can hang it out there too.

Don't be shy. Which I know you are not. Post often and prolifically. Visit me, I have some cool people hanging out.

Congrats and good luck. The world is your oyster....

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mindy Tarquini said...

Wading in Shallow Water sounds like the title of a novel. Are you writing it?

I'm linking to you. Pleased to meet you.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jaye Wells said...

Good for you. I think for all of taking that leap of faith and finally declaring to the world we are writer is huge. Welcome to the community.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Bernita said...

Another little fish nibbling at your toes...

4:09 AM  
Blogger shortstory said...

Thank you all for the welcome and thanks to my fellow Mad Hatters for the shove into the deep end.

MJ- It is the title of a short story I wrote (guess the storyline?) and hopeful the title of the entire collection.

PS-as I told RJ, I have stopped by some of your blogs while conjuring up the courage to leap. I will stop by again and hopefully Microe or RJ can show me how to link you up.

4:38 AM  
Blogger shortstory said...

Pammy...thanks for the shove, and glad you're not going to leave me here alone.

5:33 AM  
Blogger 10-8-ious said...

Hey SS - good for you! -- I knew evenutally you would take the leap. I look forward to reading you! I'll get the link set up as soon as I figure it out (soon!)

5:34 AM  
Blogger microe said...

Welcome to the frey!

9:28 AM  
Blogger ivan said...

You gotta know where the rocks are.
Often, I don't, and hung up on stargazing, I wonder where the hell I'd left my scuba gear.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, welcome! Very glad to have you. Sharing you writing for the first time is very frightening, but you'll be happy you did.

Thanks to R.J. for letting us know you've signed on!

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was Orson Scott Card who said "it doesn't take courage to write, it takes courage to submit your writing to others."

Nice job in showing that courage.

11:22 AM  
Blogger ivan said...

R.J. Baker,
What a gracious invite to S.S.
Very nearly a belle lettre.
I'm not surprised. You been sending me some pretty cool notes.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Confessions of a Starving Mystery Writer said...

Ivan, Thank you for your support,

Short Story you should post tidbits every day...you are on your way.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you wade in shallow water your feet will never stink! Good luck SS.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home